Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fig & Walnut Crumble

I realise this blog is called The Cake Boutique but I just had to share the excitement of this ridiculously delicious fig and walnut crumble I made.
Figs are in season and they are really good in this part of the world. To be honest, they taste so good I've never had the need to go on and make something out of them. However I had crumble topping in the freezer, figs in the fridge and I was craving something dessert-like and ... well you know what happened next...


Now I'm not going to bother with the exact recipe (Google crumble topping) but I like crumbles with less flour and more oats. So with a little bit of the basic flour, butter and sugar, I added rich muscavado sugar, lots of rolled oats, chopped walnuts and flax seed. It's up to you what you add, plus or minus anything, you can't go wrong really. This crumble topping is good to sit in the freezer for when the craving arises. 
I chopped up the figs, sprinkled a bit of cinnamon on them, topped it with the crumble mixture and drizzled with some melted butter. All of it goes in the oven for 25-30 minutes at a temperature I took no notice of. (Probably 380?). 

Bring a Brit I topped mine with thick custard :-) Mmmm!

Yes, I realise the custard is a bit lumpy - perfect! :)


4 comments:

  1. Wow - so simple, so enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If I "bring a Brit" can I please have a double portion? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely image, thank you!

    ReplyDelete